December 15, 2012

The Used (November 2012)

Tonight as my mother and I were crossing the street to go into the supermarket, we were almost hit by a taxi being driven by Santa. I'm not sure how to feel about that - Santa driving a taxi I mean. Where do the reindeer get attached?



Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy Strong Lengths Nourishing Daily Conditioner: By now I'm guess you all are used to seeing this stuff around. No new news to report, it's still my go-to conditioner.

Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy Strong Lengths Nourishing Shampoo: I'm not necessarily super nitpicky about matching my shampoo and conditioner. I thought "why not?" though and tried it. I actually like this shampoo a lot because it feels kind of silky and a tiny bit really gets a nice lather going. I know lather is from SLS and for a lot of people that's a no-go. For some reason my hair likes all the "bad" stuff, though.

Aqua Net Professional Hair Spray Extra Super Hold: Another repeat. In case anyone is wondering, I don't really go through hair spray THAT quick. The one from last post ran out right at the beginning of October and this one made it until the last days of November. I like to flip my hair over and use it at the roots to give some boost on days I wear my hair natural/wavy.

Bath & Body Works Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin Anti-Bacterial Gentle Foaming Hand Soap: For a short time last year my brother worked at the Bath & Body Works outlet and got me a ton of these soaps.  They're super reasonably prices for how long they last. One pump gives you enough foam to wash your hands and I estimate this one bottle had about a billion pumps worth in it. I think this same bottle was in my bathroom for 6 months. This particular scent was from Halloween 2011, so I don't know the current availability. I definitely smelled pumpkin pie which is right up my alley since I love food-y scents.

Yes To Cucumbers Daily Calming Moisturizer SPF 30: After the awesome luck I had with the Yes To Cucumbers non-SPF lotion in September's post, I was excited to find a version with SPF (I'd only gotten a non-SPF lotion because I'd needed it for the wedding I was in back in July.) I have to say that I am SO glad this was not my first experience with the brand or I would have walked away long ago. This stuff was awful. Let's start with the texture. The SPF is mostly provided by zinc oxide which made the lotion itself lumpy:

  

This wouldn't have been such a big deal if it rubbed in and got better, but it didn't. You wound up with little stringy-looking chunks of ick everywhere and what did "rub in" (I say this in quotes as it never felt like it sunk in, more sat on top of my skin) felt heavy and waxy and sticky.  I had to buy another cheap lotion to mix this stuff with and may have danced a little once it was gone. 

Solstice Scents Savannah Creamy Whipped Soap: I actually already posted a fairly full review about this stuff, but now it's all used up. I can't say I'll miss this particular scent. By the end of the jar it was getting so overwhelming on its own that I had to mix it with other scents to cut the earthiness/cut grass smell. 

Fresh Supernova Mascara: This mascara came in a duo set with the Firebird mascara I talked about in the September post. This isn't the first time I've used this mascara and I do still enjoy it. I did find it had the same issue with "weeping" like the Firebird one, though. It has a fairly basic thick brush, not tapered. It got a little clumpy at the end when it was kind of on the old side, but was fine when it was freshly opened. I think I have another mini of these in my spares box, so you'll probably see it again.

Givenchy Noir Couture 4 in 1 Mascara: I got this as a 100-point perk from Sephora and was very excited because it's Givenchy and I don't usually get a chance to use items from the REALLY high end brands (this stuff is $32/tube for a full size) I really liked the color, fullness and separation the mascara gave me, it looked great. The problem is I HATE the brush. It looks like this:


And despite the fact that I've seen reviews stating otherwise, I feel this one feels just like it looks - like a medieval torture device. I don't know if it's normal or not, but I have sensitive lashes. Perhaps not so much lashes as the skin right where they meet my lids. This brush irritated the heck out of my skin and it made it feel like my lashes hurt all the time. Of course I kept using it all the same, I have issues with wasting things.

Jergens Ultra Healing Extra Dry Skin Moisturizer: I have no idea where this stuff came from, but I found it in my closet and figured I should probably use it asap since I have no clue how old it is. It still smelled fine and all. Worked fine, too. I really hate moisturizing my non-facial skin. There is so much of it and even now I'm getting exhausted thinking about it. I don't pretend to not know why my arms and legs look dry and flaky. I know. I'm just lazy.


I figure I should end this by saying something about what happened in Connecticut this weekend since I am from Connecticut and all (other side of the state.) It's hard to know what to say, though, these kinds of things have been happening at an alarming frequency. It's not like the issues are tied to each other and you can find a pattern, all they have in common is they are done by very angry people. My own opinion is that life is life, adult or child. None of them should have had to worry about being at that school and none of them should have died. I should have gone out to finish my Christmas shopping today, but wasn't really in the mood to when I stopped to think how the parents of those kids might have finished shopping and had presents in their closets waiting for them. Just super sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment