January 24, 2014

Ipsy (January 2014)

January's Ipsy bag was called "19 Reasons." I don't think I get it. I mean I understand they went heavy on skincare and it's reasons to get the new year off to a good start, but why 19? I'm easily confused. Whatevs.







Contents:

- Blue Bag w/ Skincare Silhouettes
- Nourish Organic Lightweight Moisturizing Face Lotion
- Briogeo Don't Despair Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask
- Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow in Pearl
- MicaBeauty Tinted Lip Balm in Fiesta
- Proactiv+ Mark Fading Pads


There wasn't much to swatch this time, so here is the Elizabeth Mott shadow pencil and the MicaBeauty balm without and with flash:





I didn't like:

- Blue Bag w/ Skincare Silhouettes: It's ugly and it kind of smelled like plastic. I gave it to my coworker, but I filled it with samples I had from past Sephora orders so I wasn't being a jerk. I don't think. Maybe I was.

- Nourish Organic Lightweight Moisturizing Face Lotion: This gave ok moisturizing, but the smell. What was it with this bag and stuff that smelled bad? It was like that cheap orange juice you can buy in gallon jugs for $1. Not Sunny-D, I mean what grocery stores pass off as real oj, but it's really just this no-name orange junk in a giant milk jug. I used it a couple of times, but the smell makes me heave.

I liked:

- Briogeo Don't Despair Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask: It seemed to do a decent job conditioning my hair, but there is only enough in the tub for 2 uses on my long-er-ish hair. I don't think any miracles happen and I'm not running off to buy it. At least it didn't smell bad.

- Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow in Pearl: If you're looking for an eyeshadow that you can wear for the rest of your life, literally applying once and never again, this is possibly an option. I took the swatch shots just before bed the night I got this bag. The next morning, it still looked like that. I took a shower, it still looked like that. I rubbed with soap, it still looked like that. I finally used makeup remover to get it off. Then I proceeded to use it for my everyday red lip post (lower liner) as it's a pretty color to give a more "awake" look. 


- MicaBeauty Tinted Lip Balm in Fiesta: This is not a balm. At all. That's a dirty lie and it makes me question if I can trust Michelle Phan when she tells me to drink Diet Dr. Pepper. Well, I guess she didn't name the product (this time) so it can't be her fault. All this said, it is a very pretty color and almost gives a stain quality once applied. It lasted a good 5 hours on me. It's also messy and you have to apply with a lip brush. Not a balm. 


- Proactiv+ Mark Fading Pads: I jumped the gun on my Ipsy profile and gave these a negative review. I don't have acne and I don't have dark marks to fade. Sure I break out occasionally, but not in a way I would consider doing the Proactiv system. Then I read the package and these are more like resurfacing pads. You wipe them over your clean face, before moisturizer, and it helps smooth things. I do think they made my face feel a softer. It's hard to say when you only get a few. And it seems to be a pain in the ass (if at all possible) to order more of these without having to subscribe to the monthly Proactiv kit. 


So that's everything, no loves this time. That's ok, though, I didn't flat out hate everything and for the price I am still happy. I have been looking at other subscription boxes, not to switch but to just try. I found this website full of different subscription box reviews and it was really helpful (aside from the lady who runs it being cuckoo bananas, who has time to be doing all that reviewing??) 

As usual, if anyone is looking to sign up and would like to give me points to get god only knows what at this point, here is my referral link: http://www.ipsy.com/?refer=u-hc98fb9wy2n41i1j.

No comments:

Post a Comment